Learning All About Contact Lenses

« Back to Home

What Type Of Eye Doctor Do You Need To See?

Posted on

If you need new eyeglasses, are having eye pain, or need to get an exam, you will be seeing different types of eye doctors. Knowing what type of eye doctor or specialist to see is where it gets a little tricky. Here is information about ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opticians, including what services they offer. It will help you determine what eye specialist you should schedule an appointment with.

When to See an Ophthalmologist

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor specializing in eye care. They have gone to college and medical school, and completed an internship and residency. They will provide a wide range of eye care services, including giving eye exams and diagnosing conditions of the eye, such as glaucoma, cataracts, or other issues. You will see an ophthalmologist if you have something in your eye, have been seeing floaters, or had trauma to the eye. You also want to see this type of eye doctor for crossed eyes, if you have diabetes and need recommendations for proper eye care, and if you want to fix drooping eyelids or other eye-related cosmetic issues.

When to See an Optometrist

While an optometrist is a medical professional providing eye care services, they are not actually a doctor. They went to college, followed by spending time in optometry school. Optometrists can provide basic eye care and vision care services. If you need an eye exam, want to find out if you have farsightedness or nearsightedness, or want to switch from eyeglasses to contacts, you should see an optometrist. They can also diagnose eye conditions like macular degeneration, cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, and conjunctivitis. The main different between an optometrist and an ophthalmologist is that the ophthalmologist will provide treatments and surgery, while the optometrist can only diagnose the problem.

When to See an Optician

An optician is not a medical professional or an eye doctor. They specialize in eyeglasses and contact lenses. If you need to get a new pair of eyeglasses, the optician will help you select a good pair and size and order them. They take facial measurements, adjust glasses, and can even repair them for you. They will also show you how to use contact lenses and help you decide which ones are right for you.

Most offices providing eye care will have an optometrist, ophthalmologist, and an optician. During a single visit, you might first see an optometrist for an eye exam, get a prescription from the ophthalmologist, then get your new glasses from the optician. Talk to a professional like Eye Exams Vancouver for more information.